A doula is an experienced professional who provides physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and partner before, during and after birth. In labor, studies show that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications and less need for pain medications. In postpartum, studies show that when doulas are in the home baby transitions are easier, parental satisfaction improves and the risk of postpartum mood disorder decreases.
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology and emotional needs in labor and postpartum
- Provides emotional support and physical comfort measures
- Empowers parents to get information and make informed decisions
- Assists in preparing for and carrying out plans for birth and postpartum
- Offers an objective viewpoint and evidence based information
- Facilitates communication within the support team
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the memory of the experience
- Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Emily offers a variety of doula support services:
Birth doula support includes three prenatal visits, attendance of labor and birth, one postpartum visit and unlimited phone and email support.
Labor Support Workshop coupled with phone support throughout labor.
In-home doula support post delivery with flexible scheduling. Babysitting services are also available for certain circumstances.
Labor Support Workshop for Partners
Workshops dedicated to preparing birth partners and moms-to-be for labor. Topics include fetal position, labor positioning, massage, and relaxation techniques.
Postpartum Support Workshop for Partners
Workshops to prepare parents-to-be for the postpartum period. Topics include physical recovery, meal planning, parent relationship, newborn care and transition to parenthood.
Infant massage classes to learn strokes, benefits and baby care. Private or semi-private classes are available.
Classes designed to gear parents-to-be with accurate and up-to-date information on childbirth and the postpartum period. Classes are offered in private and public settings